The annual Safe Schools Initiative Seminar is a forum for educators, law enforcement, first responders and others with a stake in school safety to come together and learn about important topics to help serve and protect our children and our communities.
Started in 2004, this initiative has always been a collaborative effort. The principal planning partners include the Presenting Sponsor, the Erie County Law Enforcement Foundation (ECLEF), together with our Founding Sponsors: the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC), New York Office; the University at Buffalo’s Alberti Center for Bullying Abuse Prevention; the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Western District of New York; and the U.S. Secret Service, Buffalo Field Office. The program also receives tremendous support from its Seminar Sponsor, Utica National Insurance Group (since 2010), along with many other sponsors.
This one-day event has always been presented for free, and has typically drawn 700-1,000 in-house participants from a large regional footprint that includes Western & Central NY, Southern Ontario, and Northern PA.
Presentations have focused on a wide array of topics over the years, including:
• Bullying & Cyber bullying
• Review of Actual School Shootings
• Truancy, Cliques & Gangs
• Interpreting Non-Verbal Communication Cues to Identify Troubled Youth
• The Role of Leadership in Making Schools Safe
• Making Integrated Safe School Plans
• Behavior Analysis of Students at (Extreme) Risk
• Best-Practice Procedures & Tabletop Exercises for School Threat Assessments
• Mental Health Issues
• De-Escalating Crises Response and Recovery from School Based Tragedies
• FBI Study of Active Shooter Incidents in the US
• Understanding Human Aggression
• Case Study of a Full-Scale High School Threat Incident Exercise
The seminars have all been led by nationally recognized leaders, and have benefitted from the regular participation of the USSS National Threat Assessment Center and the FBI, among other law enforcement agencies.
The 17th Annual Seminar, scheduled for March 19, 2020, was cancelled a week out due to the emergent covid pandemic. Our reboot program on Nov. 9, 2021 will be hosted virtually, and we will continue to offer it for free and look to broaden our audience reach.